Student/Postdoctoral Fellow Paper
Competition and Travel Award
1. Description of the award
This award is given biannually to graduate students (age less than 30 years on 1 July 2022) working in the area of Classification, Clustering and related topics who submit, as first author, papers to this competition. The paper is meant to be largely the work of the student/Postdoctoral Fellow. The paper should involve original methodological research, or a novel application, or a software, related to some aspect of Classification, Clustering, Data Science and related topics. The winners are invited to present their papers at a special junior research session of the IFCS and invited to submit their paper to ADAC or JOC for possible publication. The IFCS will offer a grant towards their attendance expenses, conference fees and the local/university hotel.
2. Applicability and disbursement of the award
Applicability: The number of awards should not depend on the number of applications, just on quality.
Disbursement of the award: It is compulsory that a candidate who has been selected for an award attends the IFCS conference and presents a paper in a scientific session. Under this condition, the IFCS Treasurer (or a designated representative by the President of IFCS) shall pay the award and give a certificate to the winners during the ceremony for awards of the IFCS Conference.
The competition candidates must submit a paper to the IFCS conference. The young researcher has to provide:
• an application form with his/her name and contact details; the candidate’s name and contact details;
• a reference letter of no longer than few lines 11pt text and the name and contact details of a referee who will provide the report on the paper (at maximum 1500 characters, spaces not included) in the due time (please note that if the report will not arrive in time, the candidate will be excluded from the competition);
• a CV of the candidate with information according to the provided template (CV template).
Originality of research, impact of research, quality of publications, innovation.
5. Required information
• the candidate’s name and date of birth;
• contact details of the candidate (address, phone, e-mail);
• the candidate’s memberships in IFCS Member Societies;
• the location from which the candidate would travel to the conference;
• the candidate’s experience, expertise or education in classification, data analysis and related areas and contributions to these domains including any publications (with full references);
• the title of the paper submitted by the candidate at the conference.
Deadline for nomination is
February 14, 2022 February 28, 2022.
The Award Committe does not guarantee that nominations received thereafter would be considered.
Nominations must be submitted to IFCS Secretary Andrzej Dudek (Andrzej.Dudek@ue.wroc.pl)
Maurizio Vichi (chair), Abby Flynt, Tadashi Imaizumi, Józef Pociecha, Christian Hennig, Andrzej Dudek (IFCS secretary).